What are we waiting for? Let the show begin!
|—"Cry for Help"|
Sardonyx towers in size, she's so tall that her hands are actually taller than Steven. She has vermillion skin and pale peach/apricot-colored hair, styled into a tetrahedron with very rounded corners. Her torso and legs greatly resemble Garnet's, but have less mass. As a fusion, she has four arms and inherits the same locations of her gemstones as her fused cooperators. She wears a black, tailcoat tuxedo-leotard with a tangerine bow tie and a small, black star on her chest. This tailcoat comes from Pearl's sash ribbon. The underside of the tail of her tailcoat is the same shade of tangerine as her bow tie. She wears two-toned, mauve-gray leggings under crimson tips surrounding the top part of her feet. On her first set of arms, she wears white gloves, exposing her hands with the exception of a white covering on her middle fingers. On her second set of arms, located on her abdomen, she wears white gloves that closely resemble Sapphire's gloves that extend to her elbows.
She wears round shades that resemble Alexandrite's, but are slightly transparent and tinted with a dark reddish-ginger-like color, which reveals that Sardonyx has four eyes, two on the bottom which are large and round, and two on the top which are thin, small, and narrow. Her top pair of eyes are magenta, while the bottom pair are crimson-colored. Sardonyx appears to have a small gap between her front teeth. Her face is rather triangular, and her feet have small, bright pink diamonds on them.
What's this? An encore performance? Just couldn't get enough of me, could you?
|—Sardonyx, "Cry for Help"|
Sardonyx appears to have a combination of Garnet and Pearl's personalities, acting decidedly theatrical while also being able to keep up intelligent conversation. Her demeanor is, for the most part, quite dramatic, conversing with her peers in a matter similar to how a master of ceremonies would to her audience, which fits her formal dress appearance. She seems to be snarky and witty, often laughs at her own jokes, and remarks in a very pompous and comedic manner. She also seems to hold a very cheerful attitude towards almost anything as seen when she takes down the Communication Hub. She thinks very highly of herself and can be rather cocky at times, although she seems to also be considerate of other people as well as her surroundings. Despite this, Sardonyx is completely capable of being serious in dire situations.
Oh my stars! If it isn't Steven Universe, we finally meet! So what do you think? Was I worth the wait?
|—Sardonyx to Steven, "Cry for Help"|
Sardonyx, like the rest of the Crystal Gems, has a positive opinion of Steven, as she interacted with Steven frequently, was happy to meet him, embraced him, and called him a "sweet little charmer". Sardonyx has shown that she is quite fond of Steven, telling him jokes and performing tricks. She even compares herself to the more destructive Sugilite to impress him even more. While doing this she shows off her anatomy manipulation, precision with her weapon, and names off the qualities about herself that counter Sugilite's.
Hm... 'smash' is the word one would use to describe what... someone else might do.
|—Sardonyx, "Cry for Help"|
Sardonyx possesses standard Gem abilities and traits.
When in battle, Sardonyx is both graceful and accurate, but also powerful and rather playful, messing with her opponents or audience with tricks and jokes. Despite this, she is usually quite tactical, thinking things up before acting, in order to make things perfectly.
- War Hammer Proficiency: Sardonyx can combine Garnet's gauntlets and put them on the end of Pearl's spear facing inwards to make a hammer. Her use of the war hammer is methodical in approach. She uses precise, keen strikes on specific areas to inflict the most damage while also reducing the amount of effort needed to take down a structure or opponent. She describes herself, and therefore her style of combat, as "specific, intelligent, accurate, faultless, elegant, controlled, surgical, graceful, and powerful!" (and yes, she is sometimes known to smash).
- Drill Transformation: By rapidly spinning the top part of her hammer, Sardonyx is able to transform her weapon into a drill that could easily break through the walls of the Ancient Gem Colony Ship that Garnet's gauntlets and Pearl's spear alone could not even dent.
- Anatomy Manipulation: Sardonyx has been shown to have "doll joints", body segments that have full rotation independent of the rest of her body. During her initial attack on the rebuilt Communication Hub she was seen to spin her upper body above the sash while talking to Steven, her sash arms are seen moving separate from the rest of her body throughout the scene, and during the final strike her whole body is spinning on one joint while her feet remain pointed up and immobile.
- Enhanced Calculations: Sardonyx is able to knock out the correct pillars to make sure the hub did not collapse until she wanted it to. She may have inherited this from Garnet, who mentions her ability to sense structural integrity in the episode "Cheeseburger Backpack" and her future vision, she could see if she knocked down the wrong pillar, it would all collapse.
- As with Garnet, it is currently unknown whether this is a Gem ability/power that is inherited from Ruby/Sapphire unique to both Garnet and Sardonyx or a simple observation.
- Due to being a Pearl fusion it is unknown if Sardonyx is acrobatic. A hint to her having this skill was when Amethyst was singing "Tower of Mistakes" Sardonyx was shown doing back flips while destroying the tower.
- "Cry for Help" (debut)
- "Keystone Motel" (mentioned)
- "Friend Ship" (non-speaking cameo)
- Sardonyx was announced in a Crewniverse Tumblr post.
- She was revealed in a clip shown at the official Adventure Time/Steven Universe panel at San Diego Comic-Con 2015.
- Steven's Spanish-language voice actor, Leisha Medina, confirmed Sardonyx would appear in "Cry for Help".
- The shape of Sardonyx's hair greatly resembles that of Peridot's.
- However, Peridot's hair is styled in a sharper triangle with emphasis on the vertices and slightly frayed.
- This may be a reference to both being birthstones for August.
- Sardonyx's debut has many callbacks to Sugilite's debut.
- In "Coach Steven", Garnet says, "We don't need to be careful, we just need to be huge." to justify fusing with Amethyst instead of Pearl. In "Cry for Help", Garnet tells Pearl, "What we need now is to be careful".
- When Garnet asks Amethyst to fuse in "Coach Steven", Amethyst is excited and Pearl is grumpy and disappointed. When Garnet asks Pearl to fuse in "Cry for Help", the roles are reversed.
- When Sugilite forms, a red dragon silhouette appears, breathing out black flames which grow to form Sugilite's body. When Sardonyx forms, she appears in a pillar of light which turns into a curtain and then splits apart into a cloud of dragonflies.
- In "Coach Steven", Steven asks Sugilite if she's going to smash things with her weapon. In "Cry for Help", Steven asks Sardonyx the same question.
- Sardonyx's appearance and behavior contrasts with Sugilite: she has Pearl's thin build (mixed with Garnet's curvaceous traits), graceful moves, well-kept hair and wears an elegant attire; also, she asked how everybody was doing just after she finished forming. Sugilite, on the other hand, has Amethyst's heavy build (mixed with Garnet's curves), moves somewhat brutishly, has a wild hairstyle, and wears punk themed clothes; her first words after forming showed her egoist persona. Also, Sugilite's visors are pointed, where as Sardonyx's are rounded.
- Also, if you listen closely during the formation of Sardonyx, you can hear that some of the same sound effects were used for the formation of Sugilite.
- Sardonyx's outfit unusually features both diamonds and stars, with pink diamonds on her shoes, and a black star on her chest. Whether the diamonds are meaningful or not is unknown.
- Sardonyx asks Steven if she was "worth the wait", referencing how long she took to appear in the show.
- Sardonyx's design has a lot of similarities to Garnet's from the Pilot, such as the colors of their outfits, and egg-shaped sleeves.
- According to Matt Burnett, Garnet and Pearl fused into Sardonyx with a hand-based dance in "Friend Ship". This supports the fact that fusion dances may vary depending on the situation, the time they have, and how the gems are feeling.
- Her top set of eyes function as eyebrows, similar to Malachite.
- Sardonyx can be formed if Ruby and Sapphire aren't Garnet; this is confirmed by Matt Burnett. The same thing most likely applies to Sugilite.
- It is unknown how different they would appear, if at all.
- The pink diamond design on her shoes also appears on Pearl's outfit in "Space Race", though on the middle of her torso.
- Sardonyx's eyes occasionally glow a brighter orange when she's talking to Steven, telling jokes, or when summoning her weapon. It's unknown if this is from lighting, a mistake in animation, or if they naturally brighten when she gets excited.
- According to Joe Johnston, he added a gap between Sardonyx's teeth because he also has a slight gap in his.
- Her war hammer is made with the gaunlets facing inward, yet the design has them facing outward.
- Fans have noted there are many similarities between Sardonyx, and the PlatinumGames character Bayonetta. Both pose dramatically in front of the moon before performing an attack, both are classy and self-confident, graceful yet incredibly strong, and both have a fondness for children (Bayonetta with Cereza & Loki, Sardonyx with Steven). They both taunt before finishing off their targets, and both have the same snarky means of addressing bystanders during battle.
- Her outfit is similar to traditional mid-20th century stage magician, show hostess, and Broadway dancer costumes.
- The way she appears (pulling and opening a curtain that explodes into dragonflies) also plays into her stage magician theme.
- Also when she summons Pearl's spear and Garnet's gauntlets to create the war hammer, her actions resemble that of a performer.
- It fits in perfectly with the way she talks, how she acts, and her personality, evocative of that type of entertainer.
- Her showman-like personality is in many ways similar to Ruby Rhod, Chris Tucker's character in The Fifth Element.
- Based on her quote "But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.", fans jokingly asked Matt Burnett which Sardonyx uses the most, or "mains", in Super Smash Bros. was, to which he replied "King Dedede", a character in the game who also uses a giant hammer.
- Sardonyx's hairstyle resembles an onigiri rice ball. This is referenced in a sketch by Hilary Florido.
- Sardonyx's defusion resembles smoke bombs used by magicians when they disappear.
- Sardonyx is constantly doing the Noblewoman's Laugh.
- Sardonyx's upper set of eyes appear to be partly off her face. This is a common feature of cartoon characters with glasses, particularly in comedic shows.
- The war hammer Sardonyx holds has a star at the end, resembling that of a magician's wand.
- Pearl and Garnet's fusion dance for Sardonyx was based on choreography from multiple music videos by Kpop artist Sunmi.
- Sardonyx is a type of micro-crystalline quartz, specifically onyx, banded with browns, reds, or yellows instead of black.
- Onyx and sardonyx are types of agate, which is the gemstone of those with the sign Gemini.
- Sardonyx is closely related to onyx, sard, and carnelian. Banded agate with more blacks or grays is generally classified as onyx, whereas banded agate with more browns, reds, yellows, or oranges is generally classified as sardonyx. Solid red or reddish-brown agate is generally classified as sard or carnelian, depending on the shade.
- Sardonyx, as with many other gemstones, can also appear as other colors, such as green and purple.
- The name sardonyx itself is an amalgamation of its composition, the two minerals ‘sard’ and ‘onyx’.
- Sardonyx is said to enhance willpower, vitality, confidence, stamina, integrity and optimism as well as bring happiness and stability to marriages.
- Sardonyx's personality and behavior, as well as Pearl's description of being fused with Garnet, seems to match perfectly with the attributes of her gemstone.
- Sardonyx is an alternate birthstone of August, whereas the official birthstone is peridot.
|Pearl's gemstone on Sardonyx, completely smooth without facets.|
|Ruby's gemstone on Sardonyx, featuring a square facet. It is a decahedron.|
|Sapphire's gemstone on Sardonyx, featuring a triangular facet. It is an octahedron.|